How to Choose a Perfect Genre for Reading?
“Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.”
– Margaret Fuller
Reading is crucial for your heart, mind, and soul. It inspires, educates, and empowers you, but you must ensure that you choose the right genre. As you walk down the market aisle, you will discover there are thousands of books published every day. Out of these books published every day, some are bestsellers, and some are average when it comes to popularity.
But, what to choose?
It is a common question that lingers in everyone’s mind. In this blog, we will guide you through some golden rules for readers and beginners, following which they can follow the path to literary enlightenment and choose the right genre.
Golden Rules to Choosing a Perfect Reading Genre
Define the Purpose
The very first thing that you need to do before picking any book for reading is, define your purpose of reading. You must be aware of the framework in your mind for which you are reading, understanding, and storing all that you get from the contents of the book.
You can have different purposes of reading that include improving comprehension, finding motivation, practical application, research, or for pleasure. Know the purpose, it will connect you with the idea of each word on the page and achieve your goal.
Follow What You Like
Many people limit themselves to bestsellers, but we would like to quote one popular assertion here that says, “Never apologize for your reading taste” — Betty Rosenberg.
The quote explains that being a beginner, you must go for what you like rather than following book clubs or the list of bestsellers. It could be a romantic novel, suspense, or thriller. Some people follow a few authors whom they admire, you can also go that way.
So, just stop being persuaded by others and choose what you actually find interesting. And, with numerous books out there, you can easily find something that matches your interest and preferences easily.
Identify Your Reading Taste
What draws your interest? Is it a story, dark humor, poetry, sarcasm, or simple comedy? Try figuring out answers to these questions as it will help you determine the appeal that draws your attention. The common facets of appeals include:
● Pace- It is the speed at which the book moves. Is it a quick page-turner or is it taking months to finish?
● Characters- Characters relate to the literary characters that could be anything from a person or a creature in the story. You need to focus on how the author addresses and treats the characters of the story.
● Storyline- Storyline is the orientation of the plot which could be action-oriented, inspirational, weird, or character-driven.
● Tones- Tone is the mood that the book sets. It could be light, heart-warming, philosophical, quirky, or thrilling.
● Style- Styles relate to the writing style of the author that could be conversational, poetic, formal, or intricate.
Reading is a journey that should be enjoyable, and it becomes so when we are doing what we like. If you are a beginner who is trying to build a reading habit, consider following the golden rules above to get the optimum results out of your reading.
We hope you find the blog useful. For more such interesting stuff, stay tuned with us!